What is “personal information”?
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) currently defines “personal information” as meaning information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
ControlStore is committed to complying with applicable privacy laws (including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)), which set clear standards relating to our collection, storage, use and disclosure of any personal information we obtain as part of our business operations.
ControlStore recognises the importance of privacy. Our respect for our customers’ and other individuals’ right to privacy of their personal information is paramount. We have policies and procedures to ensure that all personal information is handled by us in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
What Information do we collect?
ControlStore collects personal information from customers, employees, contractors, agents and other individuals. We collect this information when it is necessary for business purposes. We collect personal information such as:
- your name;
- your contact details, including email address, mailing address, street address and/or telephone number;
- your age and/or date of birth;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour
- information about your access and use of our site, including through the use of internet cookies, your communications with our site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through the use of our site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information;
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
How we collect your information?
The personal information we collect will be provided on forms filled out by individuals, when you visit our website, email messages, telephone conversations, or from third parties. If you contact us, we keep a record of that contact. We will collect personal information about you only from you where it is reasonable and practical to do so, or required by law.
Purpose of Collection
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to provide you with a better website experience, to provide products or services to you and to operate our business;
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping, administrative purposes, invoicing and billing purposes;
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have.
In providing personal information to us, you consent to receiving electronic communications from us for the purpose of
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We disclose personal information to:
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in storing information, providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of Australia;
- third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics or other relevant businesses. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia.
By providing us with personal information, you acknowledge that some third parties may not be regulated by the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act and if any third party engages in any act or practice that contravenes the Australian Privacy Principles, it would not be accountable under the Privacy Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act.
Marketing and promotional material
We acknowledge and respect your choice to opt-out of any marketing and promotional material we send to you. Should you wish not to receive marketing or promotional materials via email or telephone, please email us, being sure to include your full name, phone number and post code.
We will not use any personal information you submit to us to send you marketing messages or emails without your express consent or consent reasonably inferred from your conduct and your various relationships.
Your rights and access to your personal information
Australian Privacy Principle 12 permits you to obtain the details of the personal information that we hold about you. If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, Australian Privacy Principle 13 permits you to correct inaccurate personal information subject to certain exceptions, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information stated.
Storage and security
Our website, and any customer data entered on our website, is hosted by our web developers or nominated website host.
All payment information is stored with our third-party payment partners eWAY or PayPal. We are not responsible to the customer for any loss or damage resulting from a breach of our third-party providers.
All our customer data is stored securely on a customer relationship management system which is hosted by a third-party data centre. We are not responsible to the customer for any loss or damage resulting from a breach of our third-party providers.
Our IT systems include both IT systems in house and cloud-based applications and/or storage solutions which are operated by third parties. Wherever possible we use reputable third-party providers who maintain acceptable procedures in relation to personal information.
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We require our employees, agents, contractors and related entities to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us.
If you have a complaint concerning the manner in which we maintain the privacy of your personal information, please contact us as set out below. All complaints will be considered by ControlStore and we may seek further information from you to clarify your concerns. If we agree that your complaint is well founded, we will, in consultation with you, take appropriate steps to rectify the problem. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
For any questions, please contact us at:
ControlStore Pty Ltd ABN 74 139 483 793
Last update: 6th April 2021